With increasing population, cities of the world keep evolving from mere towns where people come to work and live. Cities are becoming focal points of global economy and leading to financially stability of the world. Here are the 10 largest cities in the world by metro population.
1. Tokyo, Japan – With a population of 37,126,000, this capital city of Japan earns the reputation of being the largest in world. It’s considered to be the best city for living worldwide and plays a vital role in world’s economy, with all the international companies having business operations here. This world class city is among the most expensive cities.
2. Jakarta, Indonesia – The capital of Indonesia Jakarta is also its largest city and second largest worldwide. Being the financial, economical and political hub of the country it is the most significant city of Indonesia. This city is considered vital not only for the country but for the whole region. Jakarta is also a prominent center of education.
3. Seoul, South Korea – Seoul is the capital of South Korea and among the 10 largest cities in the world. It’s also the country’s biggest financial, business, political and entertainment center. This is among the fastest growing cities of today’s world. Many a time it has been rated among the best Asian cities for living as it offers a lifestyle comparable to cities like London, Paris, New York and Tokyo. It is home to some of the most renowned companies like LG and Samsung.
4. Delhi, India – Among the 10 largest cities of the world, Delhi’s metropolitan region includes New Delhi, the capital of India. Delhi is considered to be among the oldest known cities of Asia and reputed for its rich history spanning over many centuries. Though bursting at its seams due its population, it is a wonderful place to visit, filled with welcoming people.
5. Shanghai, China – This largest city of China is also among the most important cities, the world over, particularly the business world. It has evolved as financial, economical and entertainment hub. It is instrumental in shaping the economy of not only China and Asia but of the world on the whole.
6. Manila, Philippines – The capital of Philippines, Metro Manila forms the most important city of Philippines, being its largest financial, economic and cultural hub. The city has witnessed a tremendous growth over the last one decade or so and becoming an important tourist destination because of its enjoyable weather all thru the year.
7. Karachi, Pakistan – This biggest city of Pakistan is also among the largest cities of world. Pakistan’s largest seaport is at Karachi, making it ideally suitable for business and industry. This prominent city also houses many international business corporations and is reputed for its old, excellent educational institutions.
8. New York City, U.S. – The list of 10 largest cities would be incomplete without NYC, easily the most significant city for economy of the United States and houses the world’s most vital Stock Exchange. That is why they say when the Wall Street sneezes; the rest of the world catches cold! The city symbolizes American freedom and universal peace. The population of NYC, comprising of citizens from almost every country of the world, makes it the cultural capital of the world.
9. Sao Paulo, Brazil – Located in the southern hemisphere, this largest city and capital of Brazil is certainly among the largest business hubs of the present world. It is the key to South American economy. Though notoriously most dangerous city of Brazil, it attracts many visitors because of its rich culture, museums and art exhibits.
10. Mexico City, Mexico – Mexico City, among the most significant cities of North America, is the biggest of all Mexican cities and hub of commercial and economical activities in the country. The city is considered among the ten wealthiest cities of world and is expected to grow financially in the coming years.